The Most Important Dating Terms and Definitions You Should Know
You may have heard one of your friends talk about being breadcrumbed by someone she dated or that this guy tried to slide into her DMs. If you’ve ever wanted to learn the most important dating terms and definitions so that you know what your friend is talking about, read on.
- Ghosting – everyone should know this one. If you never heard of ghosting, it’s when you’re dating someone and then all of a sudden they stop responding to your texts, phone calls, etc. They’re technically as good as dead because they’ve fallen of the face of the earth. What are some signs someone will ghost you? Check out these articles below.
- Breadcrumbing – is one of the worst things you can do to someone. This is when you lead someone on with flirty texts, snapchats, etc. but have no intention of dating them. People that typically do this are seeking attention. Try to set up a meeting with them and you’ll know right away whether they are breadcrumbing because they’ll make an excuse every time not to meet up.
- Cuffing/Cuffing Season – When you get in a relationship during the winter months or holidays. Typically happens because you might be feeling lonely after seeing all of your other friends having a great time with their significant others during the holiday season.
- Cushioning – This occurs when you’re dating someone, and you have others waiting in the wings in case your current relationship goes south. Consider these people to be your “break in case of fire” safety net. This is pretty typical nowadays because everyone has so many options at their fingertips.
- Love-Bombing – When someone you first start dating is over the top with love, affection, and gifts to give you a false sense that they really like you more than they really do. This ends up making you feel very attached to them and giving them more control over you. This one can sometimes be hard to overcome and harder to spot because you have blinders on.
- Sliding into your DMs – one of the most common things that occurs is when you get a message from someone that you don’t follow on Twitter or Instagram. They usually will send a flirty message of some sort and that’s them “sliding into your DMs.”
- Zombieing/Submarining – This is when you think you’ve been ghosted and all of a sudden, the person that ghosted you sends a message out of the blue. They been raised from the dead or come up to the surface to like an Instagram photo or send you a random message like “hey stranger!” or send you a snapchat.
Let us know in the comments if you’ve come up with your own definitions or need help understanding one you don’t see listed here.